Jambalaya at my house is a year-round recipe. But it’s especially good right now while the okra is fresh and tender right out of the garden. This freezes well so make a big batch to save for later! Serve over rice.
1 lb andouille sausage, sliced into rounds (we LOVE andouille from HAM)
½ lb shrimp or ½ lb chicken, cut into pieces (optional)
1 large onion, diced
1 green bell pepper, diced
3 stalks celery, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 can diced tomatoes
½ tsp red pepper flakes (or to taste)
½ tsp black pepper (or to taste)
1 tsp celery seed
½ tsp tabasco (or to taste)
2 tsps worcestershire sauce
2 cups chicken broth
1. Heat oil in a large pot and add sausage and if using, chicken pieces with diced onions, bell pepper, and celery. Cook until browned and veggies are tender.
2. Stir in tomatoes, spices, tabasco, and worcestershire sauce.
3. Cook for 10 minutes stirring occasionally.
4. Stir in chicken broth. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer for 25 to 30 minutes.
5. Serve over cooked white rice.